Tuesday, September 9, 2014

What kind of sandwhich is that?

Lunches were hard for me, because I was so used to meat and cheese sandwiches or cheese sandwiches when I became vegetarian. When I did a vegan challenge last year I ate nothing but Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches or salad for lunch for a whole month. Don't get me wrong I love a good salad and PBJ is a classic, but both can get pretty boring after awhile. Then I discovered the hitherto lowly garbanzo bean, and its amazing versatility. I had long known that garbanzo beans, otherwise known as chickpeas, could be used to make humus, falafel, and and three bean salad, but I hadn't given them much thought beyond that. Until I was introduced to chickpea salad.
I have seen it on other blogs as faux-tuna, or un-tuna, but refuse to call it that because I think it does chickpea salad an injustice. For one thing no cruelty to tuna and for another no nasty fish breath, the kind that makes you never want to open your mouth to speak again-- gone.
So here is my take on chick pea salad, it only takes about twenty minute to make, less if a small child isn't stealing chickpeas out of the bowl:

1 15oz can of chickpeas rinsed and drained.
2-4 Tbs veganaise or cocktail sauce
1Tbs spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup dill relish
1 celery stalk finely chopped
1 tsp cilantro (optional)_
1-2 tsp of Old Bay seasoning

Mash up chickpeas leaving a few pieces intact, it should be chunky not smooth like hummus
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well blended. Tadah! You're done! Can be eaten on bread, crackers, lettuce or straight out of the bowl!

Happy Eating
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment