Thursday, September 4, 2014

Breakfast Interrupted


This vegan MoFo breakfast post will be brought to you by my birthday. I was going to post about oatmeal and wax lyrical about steel cut versus quick-cooking rolled oats, but then I realized I had something more exciting to write about: cake! That's right, I made my very first vegan birthday cake for myself with the Bumper's help. I wanted chocolate, but the Bumper wanted strawberry so I figured I would give the cake she wants for her birthday a trial run. I used this recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie: (http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/06/12/healthy-cake-recipe/).

The finished product tasted kind of like a giant pancake, not overly sweet, but very yummy. The frosting was where I got into trouble. I wanted to use the coconut milk frosting that Katie suggested, but the cream did not rise to the top. In desperation I used the recipe on the back of the confectioners sugar box and veganized it. I used Earth Balance brand vegan buttery spread, and used the coconut milk. I threw in the strawberry slurry I made and mixed it all together. The frosting was a hit. The Bumper loved it and so did Nana. I thought it a little too sweet so I will be playing around with it a bit more.

Here is what I did:
1/4 cup of vegan margarine
2 cups of powdered sugar
3Tbs coconut milk
4 frozen strawberries
1tsp vanilla
1Tbs powdered sugar.

First blend frozen strawberries, vanilla and the Tablespoon of powdered sugar.
In a seperate bowl beat together at low speed the powdered sugar, margerine, and coconut milk.
Pour in the strawberry mixture and beat again until peaks begin to form. Refrigerate for 1 hour then frost your cake.

Happy Eating
Kim

p.s. Sorry about the picture quality, but three year old's and frosted cake in the same room do not last long!

4 comments: