Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Forget November, February is the Bleakest Month

Today is not a pretty day. Today is cold and wet and dreary. It is not a sharp clean cold that makes me want to breathe in deeply and leaves me feeling refreshed and invigorated, it is the kind of chill damp that makes me want to huddle up next to the pellet stove, soak in the warmth and dream of Spring. I even found myself browsing through seed catalogs!  This morning the Bumper had her little heart set on going swimming, she even packed up the swimsuits in the knapsack; then she poked her little face outside. Ice still hung on the tree branches and covered the cars. The fine rain falling was cold and not hard enough to make decent jumping puddles. The Bumper decided to curl up with a puzzle instead. We haven't even had a properly decent snow to break up the monotony of this time of year.

I want to say something inspired, but I am not feeling very inspired at the moment. The last couple of weeks have brought with them a series of things, to suck out the joy. First was my uncle's funeral, then a series of dragging colds, first Nana, then the Bumper and finally me. Nothing major just persistent coughs, runny noses, and general sickness. Finally a very close friend's house caught on fire last week. She and her husband were at work when it happened, but the pets were at home and unfortunately they perished. My heart broke for them, not for the possessions, but for the loss of their animal companions. I felt helpless. I did not know what to do for them. They had a clean up crew this past weekend, but, except for pitching in a few supplies, I was not able to be a part of that effort.


I am still working on various knit/crochet projects. The socks( of course ), more baby hats (I think I might be addicted) and Nana's blue hat and scarf from Christmas. I am overdue to start making something just for the fun of it. I have a short story in progress and the novel is ongoing--having a hard time getting my characters from where they are to where I want them to be because I have difficulty writing transitional scenes.

I know spring will come, and the days are getting longer, but waiting is hard. 
Until then stay warm my friends in the Northern Hemisphere

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment