Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Random Thoughts on Faith


I don't often write about my faith, but today that is what I feel like doing. I consider myself a Christian, yet I don't go around quoting the Bible, I don't admonish the Bumper by citing parables, I don't listen to only "Christian" music, and I don't think I have ever asked anyone if they were saved.

I do however pray. I hit my knees, most days, in the morning and in the evening. Sometimes, the only prayer I utter is in the shower and goes something like: "God please just help me get through the day." Other times the only thing I can mange is a quick thank you just before I tumble into bed.

For me being a Christian is about trying, to the best of my ability, to live the Gospel with my life, to follow Christ and to do what the Lord asks of me.

I like what Thomas Merton has to say about this.

I feel like this prayer is very appropriate for what I am going through with the Bumper's Dad right now. His condition is getting worse and I am at a loss.

Blessings,
Kim


Thomas Merton's Prayer

 of Abandonment

 

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.

 

I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end.

 

Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.

 

But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you and I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.

 

And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road although I may know nothing about it.

 

Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death, I will not fear, for you are ever with me and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment