Friday, April 3, 2015

Friday Focus - Good Friday

The sky is gray; the clouds are heavy with rain. Rather perfect for Good Friday, I think.  Christians throughout the world, will to varying degrees, remember and meditate on the Passion and Crucifixion of Jesus Christ. As a Catholic I am called to fast and abstain from meat today.
When I was a child, I bristled at the thought of calling this Friday "good". What could possibly be good about the death of Jesus? It wasn't until I got older that I understood.  His Death, so our sins could be forgiven, before Resurrection. The crown of thorns must proceed the crown of glory. Our Good Friday sorrow turns into Easter Joy, a joy that lasts for all time.

Here are some suggested ways to "celebrate":

1. Read the Gospel accounts in the Bible : John: 18:1 -19:42, Matthew 26:1 - 27:66, Mark 14:1 - 15:47 and Luke 22:1 - 23:56 (KJV)

2. Watch The Passion of the Christ if you are so inclined. I personally find the movie too focused on the gory violence which speaks to me more of Hollywood than a true respect for Christ's suffering.

3. Attend Good Friday service if your church offers one.


4. Read The Dream of the Rood - a 7th century story of the Crucifixion from the cross' point of view.

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment