Monday, November 3, 2014

Meatless Monday- Serendipity Version



Sometimes I cook by the book and other times I just  throw things together and hope they turn out.
The first time I use a recipe I follow the directions to the letter, after that (if it is a repeat recipe) I play with it to my hearts content. When I throw things together I just hope for the best. This past weekend I was delighted on both accounts.

My just wing it dish was baked Barbecue Tofu. I just thought to myself: I wonder what would happen if I put barbecue sauce on tofu and baked it in the oven? I did and it was good.  So good in fact that the only pictures I have are fresh out of the oven because I couldn't stop nibbling long enough to stage a photo. As an aside the Bumper likes tofu, but only if it is uncooked, while prepping this recipe she kept taking little pieces from the block and eating them, but once it was baked she would have  nothing to do with it.

Here is what I did:

One container of extra firm tofu
Pat dry and cut lengthwise in triangles
Coat shallow baking tray with olive oil. (I used a spray)
Brush tofu triangles with about 1/4 cup of Barbecue sauce of choice.
Bake at 350F for 30min
 Let cool and enjoy!

My follow- the- recipe- then- mess- with it dish was this vegan coffee cake from Vegan Mother Hubbard :
http://www.veganmotherhubbard.net/2014/02/meatless-monday-breakfast-banana-blueberry-carrot-coffee-cake.html

 I made these changes:
Dry Ingredients:
I used 1/2 cup of brown sugar
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Wet Ingredients:
I added 2tsp vanilla

Topping:
I used 1 cup of rolled oats instead of flour
and I only used 1/2 cup of white sugar.

The Bumper liked this version so much she ate four pieces in an afternoon!

Happy Eating,

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment