Thursday, April 24, 2014

Into the Garden or From the Sweat of our Brow

Some of last year's harvest
Every year the Bumpers Nana grows a vegetable garden. I help with the harvesting and the eating, but usually not much else. This year is going to be different. I am going to be one of the little red hen's helpers instead of just enjoying the finished product. For the first time I am helping from start to finish. Since I am a vegetarian, who is trying to go vegan I figure it is a good idea to see where my food is coming from and I want to teach my little Bumper the same.

What it looks like now
All around me I see a huge disconnect, at least here in the United States, between the food we eat and how it is produced. So many people, especially those who have spent all of their lives in apartments in the city, do not understand that milk comes from cows, eggs come from chickens, and that the  produce in the grocery store had to be grown on someones farm.

Tool of the Trade

Preparing a raised bed

The Bumper is already hard at work
I also think that being aware of where food comes from makes a person more thankful for that food. So over the next few months I am going to document our garden-- that is the thought anyway-- I am going to share all that we do to make our vegetable garden possible and hopefully also share the yummy, all though at times not very pretty, produce. In true organic gardening, which is what Nana has always done, there are no pesticides, and no guarantees. We will be totally dependent on God and Nature. Let the journey begin.

Peace,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment