Monday, May 25, 2015

Meatless Monday and Memorial Day

Sometimes it is nice not to feel like a freak when I am a vegetarian. Sometimes I just want to fit in, but in order to do that I usually have to bring my own meat analog- veggie burgers soy-dogs etc. Then I usually have to endure comments along the lines of how my "burgers" don't taste anything like meat and how on earth can I eat such things, and I could never be vegetarian/vegan etc. Well first of all I eat veggie patties not expecting them to taste like meat, in fact I prefer if they don't because I shudder to think about the chemicals used to get "meat" flavor, secondly there is so much more to to being vegetarian/vegan than fake burgers I hardly know where to begin. On the summertime grill the possibilities are endless-- grilled eggplant, squash, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and pineapple just to name a few if a person is willing to think beyond hot-dogs and hamburgers. Most people are not willing to do so.

A few weeks ago I a brought a curried lentil dish to a potluck and the response was that people could not believe how tasty meatless cooking could be. I thought it was pretty much a one off or I was about to become the curried lentil lady, so imagine my surprise when I went to a cook out yesterday and the host kindly cooked a vegetarian dish just for me! I was shocked and pleased. For once I did not have to bring my own nor feel left out. My host made a vegan version of a Filipino Rice noodle dish that is usually made with fish sauce and includes chicken or pork. For me she used vegetable broth and tofu. It was delicious and it made me feel appreciated.

Speaking of appreciation today is Memorial Day, a day set aside to honor military men and women who have died in service of their country. For them I paused and gave a moment of silence and thanks. I am also giving thanks for the non-combatants, missionaries, aid-workers, and volunteers who have died in service of God and their fellow human beings. I especially want to thank the volunteer doctors who gave their lives in the recent Ebola outbreak.

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment