Friday, March 20, 2015

Friday Focus - Books

As usual I have more than one book on my nightstand. This month it has been a mix of devotionals, non-fiction, and book club choices.  Since the first day of spring is cold and rainy, it gives me the perfect excuse to cuddle up with a pile of books and read (At least until the Bumper comes home from school).

1. Beside Still Waters is a monthly Bible devotional that I have been reading during Lent. It has the days readings on the top of the page and a short one page application story. This has helped me in taking that extra time out to spend with the Lord each day.

2. Falling Upwards: How we took to the Air by Richard Holmes charts the development of hot air balloons from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.  Since I generally like history I am enjoying this, but I am really interested in the technical aspect for my next novel.

3.Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty this was my book club's pick for the month of March. It starts out as telling the rather banal stories of upper middle class housewives, but turns into a riveting exploration of infidelity and domestic violence.

4.  Quinine: Malaria and the Quest for a Cure that Changed the World by Fiammetta Rocco. I had never before realized the importance of the tiny little pill we took as a matter of course in the Peace Corps. This is worth a read for both students of history and medicine.

Happy Reading and Happy Week End
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment